Skip to content
DHWNEWS
Menu
  • Home
  • About
  • Contact
Menu

25 years on – How the Jubilee River was named?

Posted on March 18, 2026March 18, 2026 by ecwlarcombe

In April 2001 the newly constructed MWEFAS channel was named ‘Jubilee River’ in commemoration of the Queen’s Golden Jubilee in 2002, the year that the scheme will be officially opened.

Resulting from a competition, a scan of the original Environment Agency Newsletter can be found here.


Here we are – now – downstream of the Jubilee River – 25 years on and at least three floods later – and still no improvement in flood defence despite >£100m expenditure.  Finally – the EA are trying to remove the word ‘River’ from the name.


Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • 25 years on – How the Jubilee River was named?
  • Anybody lost a grey Mercedes A45 Turbo
  • Catapults – proposed RBWM Public Space Protection Order
  • Are some Datchet Parish Councillors involved in ‘conspiracy to defraud’?
  • Email to DPC Clerk 8-3-2026

DATCHET

The name "Datchet" is thought to be Celtic in origin, and the last part may be related to cet ("wood"). In the Domesday Book it is called "Daceta".lla. Datchet is first mentioned between 990 and 994, when King Ethelred made small grants of land here.

HORTON

The village name "Horton" is a common one in England. It is Old English in origin and derives from the two words horu 'dirt' and tūn 'settlement, farm, estate', presumably meaning 'farm on muddy soil'.In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was recorded as Hortune.

WRAYSBURY

The village name was traditionally spelt Wyrardisbury; it is Anglo Saxon in origin and means 'Wïgrǣd's fort'. Its name is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Wirecesberie and as Wiredesbur in 1195. The name is seen again as Wyrardesbury in 1422.

©2026 DHWNEWS | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme